1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West C'van Feild

Discussion in 'Stone Circle' started by Coffee Gordon, May 14, 2017.

1. Coffee Gordon

Coffee Gordon Glast-ographer

Hi Guys, it’s been a while.

I’ve been a bit jaded leading up to this years Glastonbury, although earlier this year I was very very excited! I had finally persuaded my wife to come bringing my two kids in the Caravan. I was gutted when she changed her mind before you had to pay the full amount on your tickets in April. I’m not too bothered about my wife not going but I was so looking forward to showing my kids around, Cal aged 12 and Molly aged 7 – perfect ages to appreciate the magic of Glastonbury

Still… now things are looking up and I am now more excited

So I was left on my tod in the East C’van fields. As things turned out a woman in our group who had a West C’van ticket was told her campervan wasn’t fit for the road and it failed its MOT. She couldn’t afford to have it fixed. I got £90 back on my C’van ticket and I’ve giving half to her, I’m picking her up on the Tuesday morning plus another three passengers. She plans to stay in my caravan while the rest of us are going onto site with another small group of people coming in with another friend’s campervan.

I know there are a few people here that stay in the West C’van fields. Can you answer some of these questions?

Do you have a field wide communal gathering to watch the sun go down? (I heard there is something like this on the East side at top of the hill of death.

How strict are they about keeping you in the field once you’re in? I am thinking of walking down to the Apple Tree for an evening pub meal, there’s a group of about 30 of us meet there traditionally on Glasto Eve.

I’m guessing there is a small queue when the gate onto the site opens at eight in the morning, can you confirm this?

2. Lou's other half

Lou's other half Glasto Vet

Gordon,

Welcome to CVW! We've been there for the last few years and love it!

In answer to your questions
    1. Not that I'm aware of. There isn't really A Spot to view the sunset from, nor an area conducive to gatherings - CVW is but two small fields.
    2. I can't imagine that heading to the Apple Tree would be a problem, and I think I've heard of others heading that way in the past.
    3. What is this "eight in the morning" of which you speak? I've heard tell of it from wiser men than me, but have never experienced it myself. The great thing about CVW is that the gate to the festival is ours and ours alone so we've never really experienced queues of any substance to get in.

We will be having a small gathering on the Tuesday night should you care to join us - you'd be more than welcome. Nelly will be there (won't you Nelly?) and we'll have done a run to Mudgely over the preceeding weekend to stock up on Wilkins Cider, although this should in no way put you off - in fact I believe that the small samples of Wilkins that Mr Nelly partakes of on the Tuesday night are his highlight of the weekend, and his threats to never speak to me again should be taken in the spirit of jest with which they are intended.

3. Coffee Gordon

I knew the west C'van fields were small, but you're giving me the impression they are tiny. I thought there must have been a natural gathering of excited people 'pulled' to a certain spot over looking the festival to share drinks and storeys on Glasto Eve. No matter, I do hope to 'pop' down to the Apple Tree to see a few folks but return early enough to see the sun go down around at yours LoH. Who would have thought, me in the CVW!

Oh for the luxury of sleeping in on Wednesday morning :) We still have to 'rush' on site to claim our favourite spot in the middle of Pennards. I know Pennards always seems jammed packed - which it is - but we've managed to set up camp right in the middle for the past 10 years now and believe it or not because we get set up early we do have a great spot central to the whole site. Anyone who gets there after 9 or 10 gives up looking before they get to the middle and so we do have a decent space.

Maybe you could visit us on your way past into the Festival LoH? (And anyone else reading this) I think you will be quite impressed by the effort we all put into the camp?

4. Nelly

Nelly Active Member

In reply to No 3 by LoH - yes indeed we shall be there, assuming we aren't stuck in traffic like last year. Mr Nelly is very much looking forward to more mind numbing cider and has promised to speak to you this year :)

Coffee Gordon likes this.
  5. Martin1

Martin1 Member

We are in East again this year. Hopefully there will be no traffic Armageddon like last year as that was a bloody nightmare.

To top it off we were about as far away from the gate as you could get and it was a good 40 minute walk. We will be there at 12 on the Tuesday this year and pray for a space closer!

6. Lou's other half

I've never been into CVE so have nothing to compare CVW with, but a 40 minute walk from one end to other?? Yikes... No, CVW is clearly very small! I'm not sure if you can see the festival from higher up the fields, we've always been at the lower end in the first field near the gate. Certainly from there you can't see anything of the festival at all.

Do pop along for a jar Gordon, more than welcome. If Mr Nelly isn't curled up on the floor growling at anyone who comes near it, I'll offer you a cider! (I should add that this is actually top notch local scrumpy, the real deal from Mr Wilkins of Mudgely and highly recommended :)) In return, we will certainly head into Pennards on our way through one morning. We tried to find it last year, but the lure of a hearty breakfast was too strong...

Nelly likes this.
  7. Coffee Gordon

I was in CVE for two years in a row 10 years ago, those days you couldn't get into the field until opening time Wednesday opening time so there was never as great of an atmosphere I hear there is now on a Tuesday evening. Of course, in the east field, you have a great view of the main site as well, I didn't know you can't see it from the west.

Yep, I shall make a point of popping in for a 'jar' or two Loh, I enjoyed your company last year if briefly. If I remember right I moved on quickly to another rendezvous.

Pennards, as you know, is probably the most packed field on the whole site, it's no wonder you couldn't find our camp. Maybe when I see you I can give you a few pointers?

8. Coffee Gordon

:)
    Martin, if one thing GF does well, it is to learn from its mistakes, if there is a lot of rain on the Sunday and Monday this year, they won't be closing the the C'van fields late again, if anything they will open earlier
    :)

9. Nelly

Nelly Active Member

We had our first experience of east last year and are looking forward to being back in west again this year. We were as far back as you can possibly be in east as well so had the 40 min walk to the gate, I did work out that the gate in west is the same distance to the pyramid is as the back of east is to the gate. Never again (unless I really have to).

10. Nelly

Nelly Active Member

Oh and LoH, Mr Nelly is finding your posts about the cider very amusing and is looking forward to losing feeling in his limbs.

11. Lou's other half

Happy to provide as much cider as Mr Nelly requires. :)

That'll wipe the smile off his face

Coffee Gordon and Nelly like this.