1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underage and alcohol

Discussion in 'Questions' started by toxle, May 26, 2014.

1. toxle

toxle New Member

I'm 17 and i don't know if there is an issue with underage people bringing in alcohol. I know the adult tickets are all 16+ but i am quite worried about having all my drinks confiscated on arrival. Will this happen or do they not check i.ds? :party:

2. Hash4Cash

Hash4Cash Active Member

You will be Under 25 challenged (or is it under 21) at all the bars.

3. moorcroft

moorcroft BuckfastAbbey

Yeh as Hash4Cash says they'll challenge you at the bars and you'll need to either have ID or the Challenge 21 wristband. However in terms of bringing drink into the festival, they are obliged to challenge your age if they see you are carrying alcohol although I've not really seen this enforced before and they rarely search through your whole bag.. unless you look dodgy ;)

4. Hash4Cash

Hash4Cash Active Member

friends or others you meet in the queue can be useful in situations like these.

5. Glasto-worker

Glasto-worker Volunteer since 1989

For some daft reason the guidelines { issued by local authorities } for Glastonbury is ' Challenge 21 ' although as most events its ' Challenge 25 ' its highly likely that most bar staff will be using the upper age limit just because they don't want to get caught out . I tend to ask everyone who looks younger than me although I will not be in a public bar this year { unless they need me } so it should not affect any of the public as I will not be floating about near a bar counter.

its such a shame as I used to pick off underage drinkers before they even reached the counter - they would try to shuffle to a younger person but once I locked in they would just take one look and just turn round and try their luck in a another bar.

6. puzzledbyadream

puzzledbyadream Still puzzled

I was 17 on my first Glastonbury and very naughty, I used a friend's old passport to obtain alcohol beforehand (didn't get confiscated) and to buy from bars. Wouldn't necessarily recommend this course of action, and the challenge 21 wristbands don't necessarily get you served (I was IDed at the Brother's Bar last year despite my wristband because I am very young looking).

7. Kelly Taylor

Kelly Taylor Glasto lover ❤️

Surely getting asked for ID when you have a wristband makes the whole wristband system pointless!

8. Glasto-worker

well GFL is supposed to train all the people they employ to check ID but some are not as strict as others .

Under the licence act for some daft reason ' these people doing the checking to issue a wristband is not breaking any law if they don't do their job correctly ' but the bar staff can and do end up in trouble if they do serve to someone under 18 ' so the Bars can suspend a wristband if they do detect that some have been issued incorrectly.

The system can only work correctly if everyone does their job correctly.

9. Glasto-worker

Did you appreciate that if you had been caught the Police could charge you with Fraud ?

Only a Current passport is accepted these days.

10. Coffee Gordon

Coffee Gordon Glast-ographer

I love the way you didn't actually suggest others buy the booz for toxl. :)

I'm sure toxl will manage to have the odd glass of cider. Just don't get rat ar*$d ! And as G Worker warns don't get caught. :'(

11. puzzledbyadream

puzzledbyadream Still puzzled

This was 6 years ago when I was young and stupid. Obviously I wouldn't do anything like that now.

12. Coffee Gordon

Coffee Gordon Glast-ographer

You've forgotten to put a winking smiley face after that Puzzled ;)

13. Floradorla

Floradorla New Member

Don't take in any glass. Decant it into plastic and bury it in the bottom of your bag and you'll be fine. If they searched every bag properly on the way in it would take forever, don't worry. And if they do take it off you the place is full of generous people who will help you out.

14. Glasto-worker

sorry but are you saying that you would risk a fine that could be as high as ?5,000 for a complete stranger ?

sure it may not be that high but it could be.

Its called Proxy buying -

' The Licensing Act 2003 makes it an offence for a person to buy alcohol on behalf of a young person under the age of 18 years. A person found to be committing this offence can face a fine of up to ?5,000 if convicted. '

The daft part is ' Young Johnny ' gets away scot-free and your left to pay the Bill

You cant be that Thick ?

15. LouiseShaw

LouiseShaw New Member

"Originally Posted by Floradorla [​IMG] Don't take in any glass. Decant it into plastic and bury it in the bottom of your bag and you'll be fine. If they searched every bag properly on the way in it would take forever, don't worry. And if they do take it off you the place is full of generous people who will help you out."

GlastoWorker their not actually saying they would do it just that some people might

Whilst I'm sure your extensive knowledge and advice is appreciated, you come across really patronising, no people aren't thick and would be aware that it's illegal but can you honestly say in your whole life you've never done anything illegal, even down to driving 1mph over the speed limit ?

16. Glasto-worker

well I have seen people arrested for trying to buy a drink for someone underage and they were Claiming they did not know - they ended up outside in a Police station - what happened then I just don't know but I don't think many people appreciate that it is a high fine .

I never claimed I have never broken any law but I have not been daft enough to buy a drink for a complete stranger { which was the situation with the guy above - well that is what he claimed }

At every event I work at there are local officials standing about close to the bar - they are not in uniform but they can call the Police in seconds - the very first thing they do is take a copy of the CCTV { there is at least five of them } that covers the counter and the area at the front of the bar - I have seen the footage where the Adult will be seen taking the money and the kids pointing at the bar taps giving out their order so they were not very smart on those occasions.

So some do still risk it .

don't take my advice and do what you want and see what may happen.

17. LouiseShaw

LouiseShaw New Member

I wasn't discrediting your advice in the slightest and its good that you can give that advice because of your experience . Was more of a pointer for you, I think it's just the way you give that advice that may comes across patronising and slightly rude

18. Hash4Cash

Hash4Cash Active Member

Well I've drunk under age many times, in fact I got kicked out of a pub - where I was a regular and had been for a number of years - because the landlord found out it was my 18th birthday. But that was when a pint was 75p.

I've seen two kids aged about 5 and 8 go up to a bar at Glastonbury and order a number of pints some cider and a load of shorts, haggle over the change and carry then all over to a group without anyone batting an eyelid. But that was in the 80's.

Today is a different time and many things have changed, no longer is there any form of discursion allowed by us, it has all become regulated and punishable. One time you could bounce around within the boundaries and not worry if you go over that boundary from time to time. Today there is someone lying in wait to catch you if you so much as place a toe nail over that regulated line.

I think it is important to know the punishment, I don't treat it as a deterrent, more of a: "Do it more discretely." or "be cleaver about it." Assess the risks and mitigate them.

There is nothing more ingenious than a teenager getting around a rule.