1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff camping?

Discussion in 'Workers' Camp Fire' started by catzisme, Mar 20, 2014.

1. catzisme

catzisme New Member

Hi guys, so i am going to be working for 7 weeks at glastonbury this year, and i am very excited.
    I am hoping to ask a couple of questions, as i have not worked here before.
    Is there electricity in staff camping?
    Any tips on what kind of camping equipment to get etc?
    Any help is most appreciated.

2. Glasto-worker

Glasto-worker Volunteer since 1989

well it helps to know who you are working for as there is various Crew areas and they tend to camp in the same areas.

these are spread right around the site and some are outside the wall.

Most have power and some have WI-FI and there will be extra toilets and showers etc etc

Most will send you a list of what to bring with you as some people who are working there over a extended period may end up in portable cabins { but as I don't know who your working for I cant confirm this }

so what will be your actual job ?

have a look at the images taken at Glastonbury and other events in the crew area.

http://www.wbc-team.co.uk/glasto-2009/wbc-image-glasto-2009.html

shot below was from my crew campsite from 2010 { I have worked there since 1989 }

[​IMG]

3. catzisme

catzisme New Member

hi thanks for your response. i am working in crew catering, for 7 weeks starting end of may. the staff campsite looks huge! i know i have access to showers and washing machines etc, but i don't know anything else! :)

4. Glasto-worker

it will not end up like that as there is various groups using it - there is many ' crew catering units ' although I suspect you mean this unit

Crew Catering Applications,
    Glastonbury Festival 2014 ltd,
    Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset BA4 4BY.

does this ring a bell ?

have a read at http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

so if you have never been there how do you know Your staff campsite is huge ?

the main one is called ' Goose Hall '

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/site-snaps-tipis-and-tattoos

http://www.pbase.com/tort/image/65599085

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  5. catzisme

catzisme New Member

hi many thanks for the reply. yep thats who i will be working for :)
    This is my first ever time at glastonbury, working or not, so i was hoping to make some friends in staff camping, hopefully its not too big an area? thank you for all your help so far, it is most appreciated.

6. catzisme

catzisme New Member

also, i meant that from the photo you posted the staffing campsite looks big. Having never worked a festival before, i'm not sure how staff camping works

7. Glasto-worker

that is a shot of the WBC Campsite which is close to gate D so on the opposite side from where you will be - its a Crew Complex so some of security camp next to us - most of festival information camp there as well so its divided up into various areas

if you look below this will give you a better idea

the red dot is where I work - you will see a blue fence and that runs up to a hedge so its a diamond shape - we used to camp in the field to the left but that is now all public camping.

the blue dot is a crew only entry point and that path running from blue to red is a crew only path.

the other main crew campsite Complex ' closer to where you will be working ' will also be divided up.

the two shots below was taken in May so as you can see there is lots of preparation work that goes on long before anyone steps onsite with a ticket.

Goose Hall has a good reputation but I have never been inside as we have our own catering unit - which is just as well as its a fair old walk from Gate D to Goose Hall.

be sure to post some up to date images when you have some spare time.

[​IMG]

one from the side

[​IMG]

8. miss_rhi

miss_rhi Commoner! Late Night Girl

Seven Weeks!! Crikey moses!!
    I'm on site for two weeks and that always seems enough lol!

9. Glasto-worker

so what do you do there ?

I know some Security who are there for weeks and weeks ' but never get to stay when the actual festival is on ' as they are moved elsewhere .

10. Ive been on site two weeks after the festival litter picking, and if you worked on the build up you would be there a couple of weeks early, the litter pickers normally eat in goose hall and it is really nice I like the food .

Anyway not long now glasto worker, and my fellow workers

11. Glasto-worker

I don't drink enough so the WBC setup crew will not have me - it is handy having them there as they give me up to date info on the ground conditions.

The WBC bought their own Catering Company so we have catering inside our own crew camp although I do prefer Orange catering { which we use at Latitude } as they do tend to give a wider selection.

enjoy it.

12. miss_rhi

miss_rhi Commoner! Late Night Girl

I work for the late night area as their staff campsite manager - VG3A is my mecca!

I get onsite super early so people can get into the campsite early and get settled. Its the best getting to see everything set up :)

13. Smarty

Smarty I DO Love The Farm!

Luuuuucky!

14. Martin F

Martin F Oxfam steward since 2005

Really? They're feckin' awful, they've given me food poisoning twice!

15. Glasto-worker

you may have been unlucky - it scores very highly when WBC crews fill in feedback forms.

16. Martin F

Martin F Oxfam steward since 2005

They score very low with Oxfam stewards.

17. Glasto-worker

so how are you enjoying it ?

you have been very lucky this year with the state of the ground

you will see the place explode as all the staff flood in from now.