1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revamped site

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by maclauk, Mar 29, 2016.

1. maclauk

maclauk Wish I started earlier...

Great to see the revamped site :). Is it based on a new forum back end or just an update of the existing one?

We seem to have fewer choices on the smiley front though :(.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. GlastoWatch

GlastoWatch Staff Member

It's a whole new forum. I was using VBulletin v3.8 before, which is widely regarded as the last good version before VB was sold to Internet Brands who then screwed it up.
    The fact that vbulletin.org are still using v3.8 themselves, while selling v4 & v5 should tell you all you need to know.

See https://www.avforums.com/threads/vb...net-brands-have-killed-off-vbulletin.1855705/ for more info.

What finally made me decide to upgrade was when I attempted to upgrade PHP on the server from v5.4 to v5.5 which killed the forum, so I had to roll it back to v5.4. I could have applied various patches to get it to work, but considering that v3.8 has reached it's end of life and is no longer officially supported, I'd have to depend on 3rd party patches for any future upgrades, which can get messy after a while.

I wasn't going to upgrade to VB 4 or 5, the link above will explain why, so I went with Xenforo which was created by the original developers of VBulletin.
    Lots of other forums are doing the same, including some very large ones such as Digital Point. You can read how they got on below.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/one-month-after-switching-from-vbulletin-to-xenforo.2637721/

I imported the data from the old forum, and most of it seems to be working fine. There are only a couple of minor things that didn't work, such as the custom BB Code I added to allow YouTube vids to be embedded in posts, but that's not required any more because Xenforo automatically embeds YouTube links. This means that previously embedded videos no longer work though. See this thread for an example. I'll have a look into recreating the custom BB Code to fix this on older posts when I get the time.

The text editor has a few nifty features that weren't present before, such as automatically embedding media as mentioned above, and the ability to tag people e.g. @maclauk
    There's also this
    I told you not to click!
    , which would be more useful on a movie forum, but I'm sure someone will find a use for it.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the upgrade.

3. Hash4Cash

Hash4Cash Member

Line-up information could be put in the spoiler link for those who don't want to know the line-up until they arrive on site. are there any of those left?

4. GlastoWatch

GlastoWatch Staff Member

There may still be a few around, though I doubt many frequent Glastonbury forums if they want to avoid line-up info.

5. whatme

whatme Mashed Matt

Like the new set up but why can't I see any of me photos

6. GlastoWatch

GlastoWatch Staff Member

It wasn't possible to import the photo albums. Below is a list of the fields it was possible to import.
    The only field I didn't import was "Profile Comments". This is because on the old system people got confused and left messages on other people's profiles thinking they were sending PMs. They had no idea that what they thought was private, could not only be read by everyone on the forum, but would be indexed by Google too.
    I thought it was best for everyone if I disabled that feature. It's active on here though. I'm hoping there's less confusion this time.
    import.png

There are some album add-ons available with the ability to import data from a VB forum. If people want that facility, I'll look into adding it to the forum.

In the meantime, if you want to access your photos, the old forum is still live.. I'll PM you and anyone else who needs a link to it. Please don't post the link anywhere, as I don't want Google to index it. Ill change the URL when you're finished, just to be safe.

7. GlastoWatch

GlastoWatch Staff Member

@whatme I've now added a photo album and imported all the photos from the old forum. I'm still messing with the configuration, but you can have a play with it now by clicking the "Media" link on the top menu under the forum header image.

whatme likes this.