1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile App, Chill n' Charge and 4G at Glasto

Discussion in 'Stone Circle' started by GlastoWatch, May 15, 2013.

1. GlastoWatch

GlastoWatch Staff Member

Details of EE's (Orange) partnership with Glasto.

https://explore.ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/turn-it-up-to-4gee-at-glastonbury-festival-2013

2. Devin

Devin Member

I love being with EE, they really do smash it. a free app, i just need some sort of phone charging tool to utilise all this at the festival.

3. Bidds

Bidds Member

Yeah this is ace. Defo gonna get some sort of mobile phone chargeruppera now.

4. coma girl

coma girl Member

I don't use my phone much at fests but I like the sound of the app and being an EE customer I'm glad the coverage will be improved as its a bugger that when I actually do want to use my phone it takes hours to recieve a text.

5. Ferret

Ferret 6th time in Camp Triangle in 2017

i wonder what the range of the free wi-fi will be - in theory they could cover the whole site? will certainly save on my data plan if so! Glad I ordered the Anker now!

T-Mobile is also part of EE by the way - although it does seem from the announcement that the network you are on will be superflous

6. Northernsoul45

Northernsoul45 New Member

reading that, and being an orange (ee) customer..it does make me wonder about taking my iphone after all...

7. ozzie

ozzie p'tang yang kipperbang

I just dont understand why any of this is necessary. The last thing I worry about at a festival is whether or not I can get wifi or what the network coverage is like

but I am a misanthropic Luddite

8. paolo

paolo Member

Orange / EE have massively upped their game at the festival in recent years.

2009 was the last year of mobile service lottery. At one point I started hamming it up, sending my mate messages that *appeared* to be a year late... e.g. "Are you going to see Jay-Z?" :D

In 2010 I bought an Orange SIM to stick in a old school mobile, but in the end I never needed to use it. Also the year I noticed a sudden proliferation of temporary masts around the site. ;)

And to think, about 20 years ago, if you wanted to get in touch with someone on site, you went to the meeting point and stuck a handwritten note up on a board. :cool:

9. DevonHammer

DevonHammer Been going since mid-90s

We managed though didn't we?

I tried the Orange app a few years ago (it was on an N95, so must have been a while) and download it religiously each year before I go, but now I leave the smartphone at home, stick my SIM in a Nokia 100 and really enjoy no email, no Facebook, no forums (sorry GlastoWatch) and just enjoy the festival :bdance:

10. paolo

paolo Member

Before my time. :$

11. Lou's other half

Lou's other half Glasto Vet

.. and then phoned them when you got home to find out if they'd seen your message/been to the message board/actually been at the festival!

I used to arrange to meet people at 2.00pm, 'round the side of the Pyramid. Sometimes worked too... Well, once. I think.

12. morph100

morph100 New Member

Brilliant news for the extra phone signal, great for finding lost friends. Will withhold judgement on the app but could be useful if its up to date with stage times and last minute changes but doubt it will be that relevant.....

13. Nelly

Nelly Active Member

Me too.

The only reason I do have my phone is in case I loose Mr Nelly, but to be honest, we'll just meet back up at the van if that happens.

Not top of my list having my mobby with me.

14. Kyelo

Kyelo Well broken in...

All pointless if you ask me. 4g requires the use of a smart phone and they chew batteries. I take a ?15 phone with me that I doubt even gets 3g(which is better!)and best of all one charge lasts a week! It texts and phones, that is all you need at a festival. For news I get the onsite paper :)

15. Lou's other half

Lou's other half Glasto Vet

And me! Useful for catching up with errant friends (although that depends on them using their phones!) and checking the time. I certainly don't check my emails! To be honest, I'm still baffled by people who read the paper when they're there. As far as I'm concerned the outside world can stay outside for the duration and my phone stays mainly on airplane mode.

Lou and I tend to have a "If we get parted, we'll meet at..." location any time we're in one of those crowds you could get lost in, like leaving the Pyramid. Usually a bar! :whistle:

Oh, but I will phone my mother on her birthday! :party:

16. exstockwellgooner

exstockwellgooner Glasto Vet

not for me I'm afraid. Cheapo phone with no Internet, mails, tweets, fb updates. They can all do one for 6 days. I am in the best place in the world and don't care what's going on outside. I always chuckle when I see people near stages/acts screaming down the phone "where are you. Hold up I can't hear you" with one finger in the other ear.:roflol:
    I have officially just turned in to my dad!:whistle:

17. Jenni

Jenni Member

This is the first year it will matter to me as not taking my baby girl. Will be the first time I've ever left her, and for 5 whole days!! I will be defo using the phone a lot to check up on her. Maybe ring home in the mornings though when it's not busy.

18. CeeTee

CeeTee Glasto Veteran

Orange always works ok for me. The first year we had Vodafone SIMs and it took us almost a day to meet up with a friend on the Friday.

19. CeeTee

CeeTee Glasto Veteran

If I remember correctly it didn't go live until the Friday of the festival in 2011?