1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limiting the width of images.

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by GlastoWatch, May 19, 2013.

1. GlastoWatch

GlastoWatch Staff Member

Some of you will have noticed that when an over-sized image is posted, it can cause your browser to resize the entire page which is a nuisance. Ideally, the image should be resized before posting, but if this can't be done, it can be resized within the post with a new tag I've created.

[ imgwidth="width to be displayed in pixels" ]Image URL[ /imgwidth ]

e.g.

[ imgwidth="600" ]www.glastowatch.co.uk/image/image.jpg[ /imgwidth ]

*Remove the spaces between the [ ] to use.

2. Coffee Gordon

Coffee Gordon Glast-ographer

I noticed this before when posting images. I ended up just putting in the URL link 'cause I'm a lazy so and so.

GW isn't there a way you can tweak it so it does the above automatically ?

3. GlastoWatch

GlastoWatch Staff Member

It's not possible to limit the size of externally hosted images by default, see here. There are some hacks available that'll scan an external image to determine its dimensions, then create the necessary HTML to render it at the desired size. As the forum's going to have a major S/W update after Glasto, it's not worth pursuing this path until the new forum is up and running.

The fastest and easiest way to resize an image, is to upload it to an image hosting service (Photobucket, Twitpic etc) as these can automatically resize images to be web friendly.

I've added another tag to make things easier [ IMG600 ]URL[ /IMG600 ] this'll resize an image to 600px. Instead of typing the tags by hand, you can post an image in the normal way then edit the tags to add the 600. If a bored graphics person can knock up a suitable icon for the tag, I can add it to the editor to make it easier to use.

The best way is to resize the image in a graphics editor or web image hosting service as this will alao reduce the file size which those with limited bandwidth will be greatful for.

4. Jenni

Jenni Member

Cool thanks :D