1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arriving on Thursday?! Space to pitch?

Discussion in 'Questions' started by zoetwodotss, May 17, 2015.

1. zoetwodotss

zoetwodotss New Member

Hey,

We're arriving by coach at lunchtime on the Thursday and we're wondering where there will still be good places to camp?
    We don't mind walking and really would prefer a quiet nights sleep.

It's our first time and we're worried we'll be by a path somewhere where it's going to flood!

Thanks!
    Zo

2. Hash4Cash

Hash4Cash Active Member

The best thing to do is check with the camp site stewards on arrival, as you are coming by coach there is a shack near or around PGA (pedestrian gate A) they will direct you to areas where there is still space, also info at PGA will be able to help.

The site is normally about 75-80% full by that time. And I strongly suggest you don't head for places like Pennards, Big Ground (near pyramid) or Oxylayers (near other stage).

My suggestion would be Hitchin Hill, Lime Kiln or Spring ground they you get a good view from there and it normally doesn't fill up. There could also be space in the south west, ie South park and Chambers but they are quite a stomp from PGA.

3. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling through life

Best thing is to ask the Campsite Stewards that you meet on entry into the festival as they will be able to show you on a large scale map the field areas with space remaining.

4. Lou's other half

Lou's other half Glasto Vet

The perimeters are always going to be your best bet. H4C is right, those inner fields will be rammed; Pennards and Dairy were full by 10.00am Wednesday in 2013, the last time we camped there (we're in CamperVan West these days).

But as the others have said, before setting off resolutely in one direction, check with the stewards. You've got some walking to do, no need to spend time walking towards fields that are already full!

5. TrolleyDolly

TrolleyDolly Glastolover

Hi Zoe and welcome! If you're arriving Thurs and coming by coach,you should be close to gate A entrance and if you do go in here there's a great campsite called 'Darbles' right after the entrance gate.We camped there last year and loved our spot.Even after Thurs there was still room to pitch tents there.The loos are fine (compost not portaloo so much 'fresher'),there's a great food stall there that does fan breakfast stuff incl breakfast burritos, smoothies,juices,cappucinos etc and you'll definitely get a decent nights sleep.The closest stage is John Peel (just over the fence and approx 5 mins walk) from there you go through Silver Hayes (the Dance Village) approx 10 mins walk,then on to The Other Stage and Pyramid (15-20 mins depending on how slow or fast you walk :) ) To be honest,we never noticed the walk as there's so much to see along the way and we just took what we wanted for the day so we didn't need to go back until we wanted to chill out.I've camped at Pennards Hill before and had a great time but boy,its noisy!! As for floods,well fingers crossed the weathers going to be FANTASTIC, but,if it does get wet and muddy,Darbles is a good location as its high enough up and almost all the campsites on flat ground with good grass cover.Haha,I sound like I'm trying to sell you a plot! Anyway,hope its some help and that you get a good spot wherever you end up.Good luck! :)

6. Nelly

Nelly Active Member

As LOH said, being in the west camper field is a bit of a trek anyway but the field right next to there was really quiet last year, so failing finding somewhere popular to camp, this will be quiet and spacious :)

7. tort

tort Highly Polished

Hi Zoe. I do a wander round the site every year on the Thursday lunchtime taking pictures of the various camping fields. There's always plenty of space at that time at Hitchin Hill and Lime Kiln Ground plus the family camping area in Wicket Ground to the north plus Darble, Pylon Ground, Rivermead, Bushy Ground and Paines Ground to the West. If you are travelling by coach all of these fields are easily accessible from Gate A but if you are driving try to get to the Western Car Parks as they are all a very long hike from Gates B&C in the East. Lots more details and pictures of the various fields in part 3 of my FAQs http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

Cheers
    Tort